Saturday, August 2, 2008

Spontaneous Day Trip

Friday morning I woke up with a lot of energy and feeling like I was only in my second trimester. It was such a nice day and since Jeff didn't need to be to work until 11 am, we thought we'd take Grandma down to a waterfront park.
Eventually Jeff had to leave and I just wasn't ready to go home yet. I first suggested that we drive down to the Kingston ferry, cross over to Port Townsend, then drive up Hurricane Ridge. Well, this seemed a little too far for comfort for everyone but me. Then I suggested that Mom and I drive down to Deception Pass and go through LaConner on the way back for lunch. This seemed a better alternative.

Leaving Boulevard park, I decided to take the scenic route down to Hwy 20. We followed the shoreline along Chuckanaut Drive and Mom was thrilled with the windy, forested roadway that offerred panoramic glimpses of the sound and San Juan islands. Kaylee fell asleep, she was so impressed.

Soon we arrived at Deception Pass and decided to go down to the campground area where there was a beach we could park at. Kaylee woke up here, a little disoriented, but enthusiastic when I told her there was water, sand, and rocks here to play with. She also was excited to see boats on the water and planes in the air. This beach is just north of a naval base and at times we were buzzed overhead by fighter jets coming in for a landing.

We made our way down the beach to the water. Kaylee must stop anytime she feels the slightest bit of sand or rocks in her shoes...

"Hi Mommy!" she says:
She was a little timid about the water at first. Mom and I looked for rocks that we liked and Kaylee looked for any rock she could throw. She was entertained for over three hours there at the beach, just throwing rocks into the water.



I stood next to her and offered her ample shade with my belly...
As the tide came in we had to keep backing up when a big wave would threaten to get our feet wet...
None of us really cared to leave, it was such a beautiful, perfect day. But soon my stomach got rumbling and we decided to head down to LaConner to see if we could find anything to eat.

We found a nice enough restaurant to eat at. Kaylee and I shared some halibut and fries. We sat outdoors along the waterway where we could watch boats coming and going. That was big excitement for Kaylee.

We stopped at a few shops, but nothing could compare to this puppy that Kaylee found. She kept giving it kisses and hugs. (when she hugs something she always says "ahhhhh" - so cute!)

It doesn't sound like much now that I write it down, but it sure beats sitting around the house. Of course this morning I woke up very achey, very swollen, and very much feeling every bit of 39 weeks of pregnancy!

My dear husband was sweet enough to get up early with Kaylee this morning and now my mom has taken her grocery shopping. Boy, I could get used to this!

Oh, I forgot the picture of our rock collection. I will have to post that in the next blog.






No comments: