Monday, August 3, 2009

Experiencing History - Tall Ships

Well here it is. I mentioned this the other day... the "tall ships" as I've learned they are called, are in port. The Lady Washington and the Hawaiian Chieftain sail together up and down the west coast, offering tours, educational programs and sailing trips.

Once I learned they were in town, I looked it up on the internet and found that you can go on sailing tours. I got so excited, I just HAD to go. It was a typical last minute, spontaneous decision on my part. So... I went alone. But I made new friends and had an amazing time!

I got to ride on the Hawaiian Chieftain.
I thought I left with enough time to make it to the landing by 10 a.m. But I wasn't exactly sure where to go and I ended up going to the Lady Washington instead . There they told me I had to be on the other side of the marina. I ran over there only to see the ship had already cast off. What a horrible, sinking feeling! I walked to the end of the dock and since the ship was still right there, was able to talk to the crew. They said they had been looking for me. I felt so foolish. The captain said if I wanted, he'd turn (which he had to do anyway) and then pull up to within a few feet of the end of the dock so I could jump on. That sounded fun to me, I was game!
He masterfully brought the ship around and pulled within two feet of the dock (WOW) and I jumped on as everyone clapped. Yep, that's how you make an entrance. Later I thanked him for going through the trouble of letting me on and he graciously replied that it was no problem and that it was actually pretty fun for him.
So then we were on our way...
Here's Stu the first mate, talking to an anxious-to-climb-up-to-crow's-nest Canadian boy named Michael.
I started out sitting up on the poop deck. (I had to look up why it's called the poop deck!) Everyone headed for the front of the ship, but I liked being in the back... or I should say - stern - of the ship! You're up higher, it's not as cold, and you can see what everyone is doing.
Here are a few pictures I took back there.
Then folks started figuring out that the poop deck was the place to be, so I walked around for awhile and ended up on a bench right near the helm.
This is Stu again... not the captain. Although Stu is a good name for a captain, don't you think? Patrick Stuart... Captain Stubing... I thought Stu looked pretty authentic with that hat. They're getting ready to "hoist the main sail"
The captain looks north and spies... CANADA!
It's time to come about... (look at those beautiful sails!)
...the captain consults his officers...
and then we fire...at CANADA!
That'll show 'em!
Don't mess with the Hawaiian Chieftain!
A word about the Hawaiian Chieftain... she's a replica of a typical merchant trader around the turn of the 19th century. You can click on the link here to find out more information.
On the way back in I snapped a few pictures of the Lady Washington. She's the ship that has been in a few movies. She plays "The Interceptor" in Pirates of the Caribbean and it's also in Star Trek Generations. She's the official ship of Washington State.
She is an exact replica of the original Lady Washington, built around 1750 in colonial Massachusetts (I can never read or spell that word!) Originally a freight ship, she became a privateer during the Revolutionary War. Afterwards she was refitted for an unprecedented trading voyage around Cape Horn. She was the first to make landfall on the west coast. A pioneer in Pacific trade, she was the first American ship to visit Honolulu, Hong Kong, and Japan.

The tall ships leave Blaine tomorrow and travel down here to Bellingham for a few days. I plan to visit them again with my kids. You can do a walk-on tour for a small suggested donation.
Although I hoped for more pure sailing and historical story telling on the trip, all together I was very happy with it. In fact, I didn't want it to end!
I've only sailed once before and it was enthralling. I guess that memory is what prompted me to go on this tour. That and I'm also interested in the old "tall ships" and their history. I think I'm hooked... I'm done. I got the salt water in my blood and I will always wish to go back out there. I love the rocking of the boat and how it stays with you even after you get back on land. I love the creaking of the ship, the flap of sails, the lapping of water, the cry of seagulls and the camaraderie of the crew.

To anyone who reads this blog and lives on the west coast... try and get out to see these ships. They will be in Bellingham from August 4-10. Dockside tours are on Aug 5-7, from 12:30 to 6 pm and on Saturday, Aug 8th from 10-1 pm. There are battle and adventure sails on Aug 8th and 9th. You can buy tickets online by following this link.
Support this wonderful organization and the rare educational opportunities they offer. It's a wonderful way to EXPERIENCE history and I highly recommend it.

No comments: