Sunday, August 9, 2009

Hudson Turns One

I couldn't find those little candies that go on cakes, so this year I had to do it all by hand:I think it looked a lot better in person :)
Grandma and Grandpa K and Uncle B were here this year to celebrate Hudson's first birthday. They made dinner for us that night and we feasted on pork ribs, new potatoes, beans, and french bread. It was fantastic - and the buttered bread made Hudson's face all shiny.

Kaylee was really sweet about it being Hudson's special day. Many times throughout the day she would give him a hug and kiss and tell him happy birthday.
Hudson enjoyed opening presents (rather, having Kaylee help him open presents).
Later we sang "Happy Birthday" to him. He laughed and clapped his hands.

Then of course we ate some birthday cake.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Hudson update:
Since he's turned 1 now, I should probrably do an update. For the last three months or so Hudson has been very clingy to me. Outwardly I discourage it as much as possible, but inwardly I melt every time he cries and reaches for me.
He's starting to test his boundaries. He knows very well the things he should not be touching. He seems to enjoy testing those boundaries, almost like it's a fun game to him. As his hand goes for those electronics, we say "NO" and he looks back at us with a big grin.
My nickname for him is "stinker".
He cannot sit still for a diaper change or for dressing. I have to hold him down with my feet in order to get a diaper on him. As soon as the old one comes off, he rolls over and takes off. It's the same with clothes. He cannot stop whatever he's doing for one second to let me get his pants on.
He's an interesting combination of sweet, sensitive and very strong willed. His smile can light up a room, but he has quite a temper too. His face gets red, his veins pop out in his head and his arms go flying. He always speaks up for himself, especially when I start making dinner. He doesn't quiet down until he is in his chair with food on his tray. Then as soon as he feels he's done eating he demands to get out of his chair. So strong willed, that boy!
He has the greatest laugh. Today he started doing this thing where he'd tilt his head back and then down again - almost like he's nodding an exaggerated "yes". I copied him and then he kept doing it over and over as he laughed and laughed.
I've learned that Hudson has very tender feelings. If I can't pick him up right away or if someone (Kaylee) borrows (takes) a toy, his face just crumples as he drops his head. You've never heard such a sad cry.
Hudson loves books. One of his favorite activities these days is to sit in his room and go through the basket of books that's on the floor. He also loves to take toys that have been in his mouth, pull them out, put them into my mouth, and then put it back into his own mouth again. I don't know what that's about, but it's funny.
He's really close to walking. I was sure he'd have done it by now. In everything else, he's been right at, or slightly before the age that Kaylee had done it. She was walking at 11 months. He took one step on his birthday, but that's it so far. He can totally do it, I'm sure of it. He's strong enough, balanced, can easily walk along with us holding one hand... but when we try to encourage him to walk to us, he quickly drops down and crawls. I suppose one of these days he'll just start walking like it's the easiest thing in the world.
So that's the latest and greatest on our little one year old.

No comments: