Saturday, August 1, 2009

Twin Brook Creamery

This afternoon we went up to visit a local dairy farm that is owned by friends from our church. My brother-in-law is going to be working for them and we needed to pick up some paperwork. I thought it'd be fun to go along and bring the kids to see some cows. I've always wanted to try their milk and today I finally did!

Here's a little video I found on youtube about their dairy: Twin Brook Creamery

They're a unique dairy in that they bottle their own milk from their own cows.
Jersey cows! Aren't they cute? Jerseys produce a milk that is higher in protein and butterfat than the standard B&W holstein. This makes for a better tasting milk in addition to it being more nutritious. Larry (the owner) told me that the skim milk will taste more like 1% because of the enriched flavor... and you know... he's right. He knows what he's talking about!
These are some happy cows. They are pastured in grass fields for as many months as weather allows. They raise their own calves so they have a "closed herd", greatly reducing the chance of disease. They're not given any hormones for artificial growth or milk production. So what you get is "the most natural milk a cow can produce".
Their milk is gently pasturized at low temperature to kill off harmul bacteria and is not homogenized, which alters the natural state of the milk. Because of this, the cream naturally floats to the top of the container. So you can buy whole, 2% or 1% and either skim the cream off and use it in your coffee, on your berries, or shake it up and drink it all. I think that's pretty neat!
During our visit Debbie (the other owner) gave us a pint of chocolate milk. What a treat! It was so good!
And my little Kaylee who NEVER drinks milk - even chocolate milk - couldn't get enough of it!
This gets me excited about the possibility that I can get her started drinking milk. With Uncle B working there, we can have him be our own personal milk man! Or else I can go to the Co-op to buy some of course, but I like the idea of home delivery. (They don't really have a home delivery service, I just mean on account of the above mentioned family member working there... just to clarify)
Behind Kaylee is the delivery truck Uncle B will be using...
So after getting all that sweet chocolate milk running through our veins, it was time to burn off some energy. Ever the thoughtful hosts, Larry brought out a tricycle for Kaylee to cruise around on.
And Debbie showed us the swing set in the back yard.
Disregard the chocolate milk and dirt-smudged face below, and notice the look and gestures of the next two pictures. Is it just me, or does Hudson look like he's in a play?
"But soft, what light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is the sun. Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon..."
To top it all off, they even had horsey rides!
Larry heard that I was really anxious to try the milk - and of course I could just go to the Co-op and get some (but that means getting a membership and ya-de-ya-de-ya), but he wouldn't have me go home empty handed. He sent us home with some fresh milk to try. What a generous man! This milk is so good. I highly reccommend it. Not only because it's local and owned by friends of mine, but because it's healthier too!
Now if only I knew someone who raised chickens...

2 comments:

Chris and Christina said...

hey krista,
did you know that you can buy their milk at haggen? we get it at the barkley store on a regular basis, and they take the bottles back for a refund too!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind words about our farm and milk. I hope Kaylee will continue to drink milk for her future health. Larry stap