Saturday, August 1, 2009

What a Morning

I LOVE this state! I love living here. Here's another reason why:

This morning our kids were up again in the lovely hour of 5:00. Since we have house guests that I didn't want to disturb I decided to load my kids up in their pajamas and go for a drive. We stopped for a latte (for me) and a muffin (for the kids) then headed off. For some reason I was drawn to the border town of Blaine. It's only about a 15 minute drive, so we cranked up the Miss Patty Cake CD and watched the sunrise as we drove.

We headed down to the public fishing pier. It's a rustic looking pier that you can drive onto. From there you can see the Peace Arch at the border crossing, Mt Baker looming large to the east, the beautiful resort community of Semiahmoo across the water, and of course the water itself and the seagulls.

As we walked around the pier (of course we were the only ones there this morning) I was thrilled to see a bald eagle fly right over my head. Now bald eagles are not an uncommon sight up here in the PNW, but I've never seen them near the ocean (or more precisely - Puget Sound). They're usually fishing the rivers - just not often by the water.

Anyway he landed on a small outcropping of rock not 50 feet from the pier. I watched him for a long time and wished and wished I had grabbed a camera on the way out the door. But I resolved to burn the image in my head - the golden morning light glinting off the gentle waves and that regal head looking about. Hudson and Kaylee were not impressed.

Eventually a van pulled up and a man got out. He proceeded to start taking pictures of the eagle. I went and told him how glad I was that someone was able to capture the moment! He offered to email me a copy of his pictures and I cannot wait to get them! He also told me that the Lady Washington was in port. That was another amazing surprise! This famous replica has been in two movies that I know of - Star Trek Generations and Pirates of the Carribean (the HMS Interceptor). How could this treasure just be sitting there in plain sight with nobody around oohing and ahhhing?! So we stopped to see the boat on the way back through the marina. I did some reading when I got home and found out that they're giving some kind of sailing tour this week -first in Blaine then in Bellingham. Jeff has some time off and with the grandparents here, I'm thinking this is something we HAVE TO do!

What an amazing place to live!

If you click this picture and enlarge it, you can see me standing on the dock on the far right side near the telephone pole.

No comments: