Monday, September 21, 2009

Kick Me!

Anytime I decide to go anywhere in this beautiful state and think I don't need to bring my camera, just kick me!
Last night after dinner we decided to drive down to Boulevard park and walk along the pier. We parked up above and walked over the bridge for the train tracks and down the stairs. The sky was clear blue, the low sun reflecting brightly off the silvery water. The air was perfectly luke warm with just a hint of the cool dusk descending on us. I have no words to describe the beauty of that place last night. I mourned not having that camera. I'm not even sure pictures would adequately portray the beauty of the moment. The conditions were unlike any I have ever experienced before and would unlikely ever experience again. It was a singularly beautiful, perfect moment. One that I wish I could share - mostly because my memory is so bad that I'm likely to lose it if I don't record it somehow. But it was great to share with Jeff and the kids none the less.

We found a bench and sat down to watch the sun slowly descend behind the horizon.

I got home and looked online to see if I could find any pictures similar to the sunset we saw last night. These don't come close, but the best I could find. I just typed in "bellingham bay sunset" and found a bunch of pictures on Twitter. Again, these are not my photos...

A gorgeous sunset picture taken from the Taylor St dock that goes out to the pier.

This is my favorite bench in the park. It's shaded in the heat of summer under the sprawling branches. My parents might remember this bench. I think I always point it out everytime we go here.

This is the closest picture I could find, but it still is not right. The colors are wrong and the sun is too far north... and of course you can't feel and smell the air, nor can you hear the waves and the birds, but it's still a nice picture.

In the end, I guess it's best I didn't have my camera. Sometimes when you can't quite put in words or show through images, how wonderful something is, it's best not to try, lest you take something away or cheapen it somehow. But in the future, if I ever decide to leave home without my camera, just kick me!

1 comment:

Shauna said...

How about buying a small, pocket-sized camera that fits in your diaper bag or purse ... something that you will always carry with you. Or, perhaps left in your car (since you have a mild climate year-round). Just a thought.