Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Spontaneous Fun

Hudson took a late morning nap and Kaylee was starting to squawk about not wanting to take a nap ever again. I once again felt the call of the road beaconing me to drive and see where I end up.
Heading south on I-5, I took the Fairhaven exit and headed south on Chuckanaut Drive which winds along the water. Above is a view from one of the pull outs... and also below. There are some gorgeous stretches of road along there.

I decided to take the backway down to Hwy 20 then head over to Deception Pass. Kaylee was thrilled to hear we were going to the ocean and throwing rocks in the water. Of course, this is Puget Sound, which is connected to the ocean, but it's all the same to her.


The bridge at Deception Pass. I have better pictures in my files from times I've gotten out and walked over, but this is just a quick one I snapped today.

Lovely tree, isn't it? Look closer:

I get a laugh everytime I go to this beach and see those seagulls perched up in a tree!

We're very happy to be here on such a beautiful afternoon, throwing rocks into water! I'm sure the fisherpeople were not too fond of us though.
Everytime we go here, there are always jets flying right over us. It's LOUD. There is a base nearby and it seems another jet goes screaming over our heads every few minutes. I don't know the names of the different military planes, but there was everything from fighter jets to big commercial sized planes landing there.

They're a lot closer than what the camera makes it seem. Above is a cropping of the photo below.

This might give you a better idea of distance...

So loud!

I asked a lady who was camping there about the sound of the jets. She didn't like it much but says it does quiet down at night and doesn't start up too early. I would love to camp at Deception Pass State Park - it's a gorgeous campground - but it will have to wait until our kids are at an age when they do not need to nap anymore.

Hudson had to sample many varieties of rock. Here he's laughing everytime Kaylee throws a rock in the water. I used to think I must be pretty funny. Now I realize my audience is just really easy to entertain.


Hudson walking on the beach. This is a new thing for him. I still get very excited when he stands up and walks.


An attempt to get ME in one of these pictures. I never take good pictures of myself, but this is okay.


This one is a little better...


I was so surprised that Kaylee actually got in. The waves used to scare her. Not that they're real big or anything... but she saw me do it and wanted to try. Then I had a hard time getting her out.

We made the slow progression from getting a little sand on our feet. To getting our toes and hands a little wet. Then soon our clothes are soaked and we're covered with sand. We stopped short of completely diving in.


Here's Hudson doing the crab crawl. Looks like he's a real sand crab!
A beautiful wide shot. If it weren't so cloudy, you'd see the Olympic Mts across the water.
Here are the treasures I found today:
I found two pieces of sea glass. I get so excited when I find sea glass, especially when one is such a pretty green!



Great trip! Sure beats sitting at home trying to get Kaylee to take her nap!

No comments: