Wednesday, December 17, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas!

We are visiting family this week and were lucky enough to avoid that one week of the winter when it's terribly cold. Unfortunately, we traveled to a place that puts what we think of as "terribly cold" into perspective. We're in Minnesota right now and today is the first day we've enjoyed temperatures above zero. Last I heard it was 2 degrees out there. At least now when we get home we'll be loving the balmy 25 degrees they have back there!

Our first night here was not fun. It always seems kids don't do well their first night. I spent it in the basement - as far from everyone else as possible. Hudson was screaming for hours. The only thing that finally worked was to rock him in a car seat in front of the fireplace. For two hours he would take those gasps of air that kids do after a long cry. Finally he fell into a deep sleep and by 12:30 I was able to sleep as well. After he woke to eat, he slept with me in the easy chair.

The next morning, all the drama and trouble from the night before turned into a peaceful blessing. Hudson and I were up and alone from 5 a.m. on. I turned on the Christmas tree lights, the fireplace, and found some classical Christmas music. It was so nice to have that time with him. Later we listened to the music upstairs while we sat by the window looking out at the snow-laced trees. It felt so nostolgic. My heart was so full.

It's been fun to see Kaylee come out of her shell and interact with her cousins. Unfortunately, she's picked up my cold and is not doing well. She's very congested, has a cough and what sounds like a terrible sore throat. I'm hoping she'll get better before we travel home again, but I don't see how that can happen.

I've learned a few new things about Hudson on this trip: He LOVES his glow worm! He just lights up and reaches out for it. When he gets it he tries to eat its face. What else? He has a very loud, ear piercing scream when he's really, really, really mad. He likes hair. He is fascinated with my hair - instant toy. He loves to get a hold and pull as hard as he can. He HATES porta-cribs. It doesn't matter how tired he is, he will not lay in that thing! So now he and I are bunking together. Which leads to the last thing: he's a terrible bed hog! He can't even roll over yet, but this morning I found myself at the edge of the bed and he was right up next to me. I don't know how he manages to do that.

Last night I was at my sister's house and her husband - Timmy-Jimmy-Frackie Tweeks had made a wonderful selection of hearty soups for dinner. Shauna made peanut butter and sugar cookies. Heather made my great-grandmother Ruth's (her great-great-grandmother!) Julekaka (Yule cake) with candied cherries, spices and sweet frost. Wow - needles to say, I think I'll be wearing my sweatpants the rest of this trip!

Last night's snowfall was beautiful. I love that really cold snow that is so sparkly under the street lamps.

More later...

No comments: