Monday, December 22, 2008

It's Good to be Home (part 2)

We waited until almost everyone else was off the plane before venturing off ourselves. We always end up finding something tucked between a seat or on the floor. Once off the plane we noticed some other parents waiting for their strollers. This is usually the first thing off the plane and they're usually right there waiting for you. We waited and nervously noticed the iced over windows, wondering how the roads were going to be. So far we heard mixed reports. These people ushered us off the ramp and we continued to wait for about 20 minutes for our stroller. I thought, 'Okay, well at least by now our baggage should be ready.' Oh, if I only knew!

We got to baggage but we couldn't find our bags. We waited around and tried to keep the kids entertained. After an hour of waiting, Hudson was getting very fussy in the carrier (and my back was aching!). We decided to take the kids to the car so it can be warmed up, I could feed Hudson in private, and we could put on a video for Kaylee. Unfortunately our coats and hats were in the suitcases we were waiting for. We dashed out as quick as we could only to discover that our car's battery was completely dead. So we dashed back in and I continued to watch the kids while Jeff went about finding a way to jump the car.

Up until now I had remained fairly calm. I was grateful to have been able to fly back to Seattle and I figured any delays were God's providence. Whenever something happened, I would thank God for keeping us in His care. But things were getting worrisome now. Hundreds of people stood around a baggage carousel that wasn't moving. Darkness was settling in and the snow continued to fall.

Apparently because the airline had cancelled all its flights, all the checked baggage had to come back from loaded planes. Somehow that made the whole system slow WAY down.

Pondering these things, I suddenly realized that Jeff had no way to contact me when he got the car started. He couldn't just leave the car running and come get us. On the other hand, he couldn't shut it off and get us because then he'd need to jump it again. I realized I needed to call him and figure out where he was and what our game plan would be.

dum, dum, dum!
(more to come)

No comments: