Monday, December 22, 2008

It's Good to be Home (part 3)

Jeff was well aware of this predicament. He had the car started and realized I didn't have my cell phone with me. So he shut off the car to come get me. On the way I reached him by calling on a pay phone. With me and the kids on the way, he turned back and tried to start the car again. Of course, it wouldn't start. There was just enough juice to get it started one more time. (Thank you God)

I arrived with the kids and we settled in for our own "drive in" movie. We got the car warmed up and Hudson fed while Kaylee watched Charlie Brown's Christmas. Jeff went to return the charger and get our bags. We were well into the second showing of Charlie Brown's Christmas when Jeff returned to check on us. No bags yet. At this point, it's been about two hours. Jeff promised to check back every 15 minutes or so.

In the meantime I called our very, very, very good friends who agreed to drive over and turn the heat back on in our home. We imagined returning during the afternoon with plenty of time to heat the house back up before bedtime. But now it was looking like it might be a long while. I also learned of the worsening road conditions. At this point I was so eager to get home I felt brave enough to tackle any obstacles in our way. I knew if we went slow and easy we'd eventually get there.

Then I realized it's going on 45 minutes and still no Jeff. Hudson was getting very fussy. He needed a nap. Suddenly Jeff showed up with my suitcase and I was elated. But when I didn't see his next to it I became deflated. Jeff said that as he returned to baggage he prayed to God and when he looked and immediately saw my bag, he knew that God was watching out for us. He waited and waited for his bag to come, but 45 minutes passed and he figured he'd better come check on us.

So Jeff went back again and I put Hudson down in his car seat. He cried for about 5 minutes and I held his hand as he eventually went to sleep. Now we've seen Charlie Brown's Christmas 3 times and I talked her into putting something else in.

Finally Jeff came back with his bag and we were free to leave. What a relief! We landed at 2:30 and here it was 6:30 before we finally got on the road.

But weren't home yet...

No comments: