Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Progress (Updated*)

We're making good progess at getting our garden set up. This spot along the back of the house gets the most light. I'm anxious to see how well things will grow here. The next step is to get some good soil filled in mixed up with compost. I'm also planning on putting up a nylon trellis supported by metal piping. It's a design I'm copying from my friend Jen who has it in her garden and looks really nice.

Jeff got me some old railroad ties for the border. I just LOVE them - they're so rustic looking and full of character. It looks like they've always been there.

Look at all that character! I love wood. I am so excited to start this garden!

Yesterday I got all my hanging baskets planted. I have two in the front with fuscia (because it's mostly shaded there) and this one in the back. I love small, trailing flowers!
I am also starting some sweet peas from seed. They're from a mixed bag so it'll be a surprise which colors come out.
The black birds have been making progress on their nest as well. Look how well it's coming along!

* Let's just zoom in there...


I see the pair hanging around the neighborhood often these days. It's fun to watch them. I'll have to come up with some names. I've taken some video of the pair up there in the nest, but it's hard to tell what's going on from down here. Maybe if I climb up on the roof...

2 comments:

one blessed mama said...

you're old.
don't climb up there.
you may never get down.

one blessed mama said...

i'm planting a shade garden on the north side of the house. any ideas on some plants??