Friday, April 3, 2009

What a Gift!

Thanks to my friend Traci, I learned about a place nearby where you can go and pick flowers for free. I guess a man planted this field with daffodils over 40 years ago and now lets people come and pick as many as they like.

Spring has sprung here in the Northwest. We just had to go!

First I have some thoughts to share, and then I'll show more pictures. I'm having trouble formulating my thoughts into words, so pardon the roughness. Maybe I'll go back later and refine it. For now, I just have to get my thoughts down...

As we walked through the field, I was overcome by this person's vision for the future. He took an unused plot of land that would be otherwise brown, scraggly and barren, and made a beautiful place for everyone to enjoy. A little foresight, a little work, and so much joy to reap for years and years.
I can draw a lot of parallels from this, but because my mind is so much on parenting these days, that's where I'm going. Specifically discipline. As I looked around the field I thought of the work and toil that goes into disciplining (training, teaching) our little ones day after day, and the hope that someday it would return an abundance of blessings that we will reap for years and years. (And prayerfully, for all eternity if our children grow to accept Christ as their Savior!)
I have a confusing mix of tendancies when it comes to foresight. In my mind I tend to live in the future. Where I have trouble is the day to day foundational work of getting to that desired future. Long term committments have always been scary for me. This field of daffodils really spoke to me of my need to continue on putting in the often unpleasant work of guiding, teaching, training, and disciplining my children so one day, with the Lord's help, they will blossom abundantly and bring joy to people all around.

But I realize it's not all up to me. I must do the work God has assigned me, yes, but He will give me the strength, the wisdom, the patience, and the endurance I need. He is ready to give all these graces, I just need to ask!
These are God's children and He will do the heavy work. I just need to do my part.
Thank you God for the encouragement you gave me in this field of flowers today!
Now for the cute stuff.
Kaylee was having fun jumping on the dirt (mud) mounds:

I didn't have the settings right on my camera, but I love the way this shot turned out anyway:

What a great morning! I wished the clouds weren't there. I'd love a picture of the mountains and Mt Baker in the background of this meadow.
I think my TV looks a lot better now!

These flowers make me want to do some serious spring cleaning!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Wow! I wasn't picturing that many flowers. It's beautiful. I loved your parallels to parenting. What a wonderful way to envision your children blooming later in life.

one blessed mama said...

GREAT post!! serious insight...i love that. a super reminder...thanks for sharing!
next time you're in town...call me! sorry i've been SO busy working. i really do want to see you!!!! :)