Sunday, April 26, 2009

mmm...Dirt!

A few more quick updates on Hudson. I had the kids outside with me a few days ago while I was pulling weeds. I plopped Hudson down on the grass and he found all sorts of interesting things to put in his mouth: those sticky seeds, dead leaves, etc... Then he found dirt. He got a handful and put it right in his mouth. You'd think he would've made a face, but he didn't. I did as best I could to get most of it out. Then he goes for more. He got so mad at me for swiping the dirt from his hands. I'm pretty sure he learned the meaning of the word "no" because pretty soon I would say "NO" as his hand was going towards his mouth and he'd start to cry. I compare this to when Kaylee was his age and experiencing dirt for the first time. She loved it too, but she just put her hands in and felt it. Only later did she try to put it in her mouth - here's a quote from May 6 2007: "One more thing - Kaylee got her first (and hopefully last) taste of dirt today. She was helping me plant the phlox. I turned my head to ask Jeff to get the camera and when I looked back she had a mouthful of dirt and an unhappy expression on her face. Well, after that, she just stuck to playing with her gardening toys and left the dirt alone. "

It's pretty neat that since our kids were born almost exactly two years apart (within 3 days) I can look back and compare when they first started doing what. So far it seems they're both pretty much the same for developmental stuff.

A while back I mentioned that I'd find Hudson sitting up in his crib. I soon discovered that he was able to sit up by himself regardless if he was in the crib or not. He's pretty much completely mobile now, just not as fast as he'd like to be.

This morning I found him standing up in his crib watching the fish in his fishtank. That was a first (the standing). So I guess the cruising stage is now beginning. Time to get ready for lots of head bumps!