Saturday, April 18, 2009

Springtime

Besides the daffodils and tulips that have already started to bloom around here, there are a few other signs of spring. In the woods behind our house the shrubs and bramble below have already had a blush of green for a few weeks already. Just yesterday it seems the leaves on the big trees just burst out all at once and are already at least an inch long! I can't belive how quickly it happens. Of course for us this means that now our yard and deck are littered with the sticky, yellow-staining "bud covers" from the cottonwood trees and we need to check our shoes anytime we come in or out. Like I said - they're sticky - and they stain!

Another really neat sign of spring is happening just outside the window as I'm typing. I see a pair of blackbirds working together to build a nest up there in the tree. I hope that's what they're doing anyway. They're staying around one particular branch and messing around with a lot of twigs. But maybe they're harvesting twigs for their nest someplace else. It's fun to watch none the less. I hope they build their nest there and I'll have all spring to watch for their little darlings to emerge.

I used to be exclusively a "fall girl", but nowadays I think I'm an 'all-season girl'. I love each change in season for their own reasons, and everytime a new season starts, I tend to think of it as my favorite. So now, Spring is my favorite season!

No comments: