Friday, March 20, 2009

Baby Lessons

God speaks to us through our children. Haven't we all drawn parallels from parenting our little ones to God "parenting" us?

Today I was holding Hudson in my lap. He was standing up and facing me. He looked aside and suddenly his eyes lit up. I knew exactly what he saw. He's always fascinated with a silver vase I have on top of our bookshelf. He dove towards it. I allowed him to touch it. He got even more excited. I wanted so much to indulge his desire to explore this interesting object because of how happy and excited he was. But I knew it would be trouble. The dried lavender would spill all over, the vase itself is very heavy and unsafe. Too heavy for a little baby to hold. I thought of God wishing he could indulge all our "wants", but knowing that something so pretty and seemingly wonderful could be really hurtful and "too heavy" for us. Like Hudson, we don't understand this. We might think God is being mean or punishing us, but He's loving us and doing what is best, even though it hurts to see our dissapointment.

I will take this lesson from my baby and try to trust God in all things.

Thanks for the reminder Hudson!